Usually you want to find out how the interesting green juice tastes like, the mom always have to rinse the dishes used. Or do you want to cost the colorful candies that grandma swallows in the morning and in the evening. The curiosity of small children, there are no limits and the own budget is in terms of poisoning is still the most dangerous place.
Cleaning agents as a special danger
The industry has reacted in some cases: Some cleaning agents are meanwhile, continues to bitter substances, which taste so bad that you are spitting out children immediately out again. Particularly attractive to children, cleaning means acting on small as
- Dishwashing detergent,
- Sanitary cleaner or
- All-purpose cleaner.
The eye-catching bottles with the attractive colored liquids are to be found in every household and often much too easily accessible to children. And not always it is easy to that the child has been poisoned, and especially with what.
In the case of parents, the alarm bells should ring if the child tells the story of a bad taste, an experience, or an empty pack to show. An outward indication of a poisoning can be traces of the toxic substance at the mouth, the face and hands, or heavily reddened mucous membranes of the eyes and lips. In the case of certain substances such as alcohol, solvents, cosmetics or tobacco, a strong mouth odor can be a clue. Tobacco causes a brownish discolouration of saliva.
Other signs of a poisoning:
- sudden change in behavior of the child, for example, fatigue, excitation, Tremor, uncertainty when walking
- cramping abdominal pain, Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea
- Headache, Dizziness
- Clouding Of Consciousness, Apathy, Loss Of Consciousness
In the worst case, a breath threaten disturbance to the respiratory arrest, shock, and cardiovascular failure.
What to do in case of poisoning?
- Are still remnants of the Ingested in the mouth of the child? You try to wipe it with a Finger from the mouth.
- If the toxin is known and the child has no signs of poisoning shows that, Poison, or children, call a doctor.
- Otherwise: Call for medical help via the emergency number 112 or seek emergency an ambulance on. Keep all of the (presumed) remnants of the Ingested or vomit and take it to your doctor.
- You give the child to eat or drink. Especially milk is dangerous. Because, contrary to popular belief, in the poisoning case is not useful, but causes the poison faster absorbed into the blood is.
- A child will not purposefully vomiting can.
- You can watch breathing and circulation.
- Caution in the case of absorption of strongly corrosive substances! You sindvor in dishwasher, toilets and household cleaners contain.
Here, the following applies: Let the child drink a lot, the toxic substance to dilute (water, tea, no carbonated drinks, no milk). The child may vomit in any case (risk of caustic burns of the esophagus and mouth!).
How can poisoning be prevented?
- First-aid-medicines: Take sieaktiv coal, and a defoaming agent as a First aid medication for the poisoning case in your household pharmacy on; in addition, should the number of the poison control center to find. They can advise the medicines from your child’s doctor or pharmacist.
- Drugs (even several times a day to take) in a lockable in-house pharmacy cupboard. Also cleaning, rinsing and detergent should be closed are kept.
- When chemicals in child-proof closures. To fill these never in food packaging.
- Keep in mind that everything you throw away can be found by your child in the trash can or recycle bin.
- You can also make your handbag safe for children: If you child ransacked, it should neither perfume, cigarettes, or drugs can find.
- Tobacco: cigarette butts and packs, not lying around in the open let. Even the smallest tobacco residues can cause child poisoning.
- Alcohol: alcohol is always in-sealable or for the child unreachable cabinets store. Even small amounts of alcohol are for small children very dangerous.
- Poisonous plants: avoid toxic Pflanzenim the garden or on the balcony, for example, Arnica, Arum , henbane, raw green beans, the Christ of thorns, Dieffenbachia, yew, monkshood, Foxglove, Golden rain, autumn Crocus, cactus (with toxic spikes), Lupine, Lily of the valley, Narcissus, Oleander, castor bean, poppy, Hemlock, Datura, belladonna, Christmas star, meadow Hogweed, fence, turnip, green and unripe potatoes, green, unripe tomatoes.
- Cosmetics such as nail Polish and remover, perfume, hair mousse, body spray, skin care products are often easily accessible to children kept. Inhalation of the gases can cause symptoms of poisoning.
- Mini batteries can be swallowed by children are. Highly toxic chemicals (for example, Quecksilberoxyd) can be freely set.
The child regularly lives in different households (grandparents, childminder, etc.), so the precautions there.
Brochure: Attention! Toxic! Poisoning accidents in children interesting facts about all of the “popular” poisoning species in children (cleaning agents, alcohol, nicotine, cosmetics, poisonous plants, etc.). The brochure can be downloaded on the website das-sichere-haus.de free of charge or in paper form ordered.